VISION


VISION
              Recently, I’ve been presented with numerous stories of young people who have vision for something they would like to do or somewhere they would like to be in life, but no drive to put in the effort to arrive at that accomplishment or place. Many people write it off as a “millennial” problem. However, I see that as too easy of a solution. Unfortunately, we live in a world that is striving towards granting more and more instant satisfaction, and in an effort to generate economy and capitalism we feed the beast.

Plant the Seeds
              Since landing back on the east coast, my husband and I have been slowly getting our feet underneath us and trying to gain traction in a land that now seems a bit foreign. After living in Colorado for just shy of two years, returning to the land of hills, dense forests and perpetual rain seems a bit like culture shock.
              In the process, I have been slowly developing, dreaming and shaping what I would like Harris Horsemanship to be. It’s been a learning process with a few unexpected lessons. (Did you know that Massachusetts is the only state in the Union that requires you to be licensed to teach horseback riding? Neither did I!) I’ve had to be flexible and persistent, trudging through the maze of red tape and lack of facility, trying to keep my eyes up on the prize on not get bogged down in the mud. There were a couple days it felt like that awful scene from “The Never-ending Story.”
              Ironically, I returned to the northeast just in time for planting season. All the local farms are putting in their crops for the year. If you’ve never seen this process, let me be the first to tell you that it is very tiring, dirty and thankless work. If you’re looking for instant gratification, don’t seed a field.

Five Dollars at a Time
              In my searching, planning and flexing, I wound up on my old stomping grounds in Vernon, VT at the Miller Farm. I grew up spending just about every weekend on the farm, often bombing about at a headlong gallop through the fields aboard one of their trusty mares. One of the matriarchs of the farm, Judy Miller, was the woman that introduced me to Parelli Natural Horsemanship.
              The farm, though set up for dairy business more that horses, has a bit of paddock and riding space, along with a fair array of horse training materials. After numerous conversations regarding my business model, I was able to reach an agreement with the farm to help develop their horse space through my business.
              While having a meeting with them to go over mutual expectations, the word “vision” was central to the final part of the discussion. The hope is that though good communication and hard work, both parties can collaborate to make whatever vision we have come to fruition. The story was told of “Brownie” Towle, a local man who played softball with numerous members of the Miller family. Brownie had a vision to build a brand-new softball field for his and other local teams, and he knew what it would cost: $80,000. So for over twenty-five years, Brownie collected a five-dollar annual fee from each player. By doing that in collaboration with collecting state and local grants and donations, he was able to raise the funds and make his vision a reality!

Harvest the Benefits
              I’m no where near being able to harvest anything from the efforts I have so far put into my business. For that matter, I’ve barely even gotten into the planting! However, the story of Brownie was a good reminder to never lose sight of my vision. It is going to take hard work, elbow grease and plenty of time, but I know if I keep my eyes up, I will eventually reach my goal. Even if it is five dollars at a time and takes twenty-five years!
              This is highly applicable to my horsemanship as well. Pat Parelli is famous for saying, “Slow and right beats fast and wrong.” Paying your dues when it comes to building foundation, whether in your horsemanship, relationships, or business, will return to you tenfold. Taking the time to create and maintain rapport and connection makes the process of specializing and refining your horsemanship that much smoother. A ladder is easier climbed one rung at a time, otherwise jumping straight to the top is going to be a lot of effort!

Final Thoughts
              In a world that looks for instant results, go against the grain and be someone that waits. They say the best way to train a horse is to set something up for them in such a way that it allows them to do it all on their own. With that in mind, go plant a garden. Decide what you want to grow. Learn what are the best seeds to germinate. Tend it. Weed it. Give it time, and eventually you will harvest fruit. This is true with your horses, your relationships, and your business.

Comments

Popular Posts